October 14, 2007

R.I.P. Mr. Jimmy


I went down to the Chelsea drugstore
To get your prescription filled
I was standing in line with Mr. Jimmy
And man, did he look pretty ill
We decided that we would have a soda
My favorite flavor, cherry red
I sung my song to Mr. Jimmy
Yeah, and he said one word to me, and that was "dead"
I said to him

You can't always get what you want, no!
You can't always get what you want (tell ya baby)
You can't always get what you want (no)
But if you try sometimes you just might find
You get what you need

Jimmy Hutmaker of Excelsior, MN died on Wednesday, October 4th. History (legend?) has it that Hutmaker had a chance encounter with Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones after their 1964 show at Danceland. Jagger was filling a prescription at Bacon's pharmacy, where Hutmaker was served a regular Coke instead of the cherry Coke he had ordered.

His wry reply was "you can't always get what you want..."

The rest is rock and roll history.

Here is a clip of the Stones from the film Rock and Roll Circus. The verse alluding to Jimmy comes in at about 1 minute, 20 seconds.


No comments: